Dogs are known for being curious creatures. They will eat just about anything they can get their paws on, including silly putty. Silly putty is a type of plasticine that is made to be stretchy and fun to play with.
While it is not harmful to dogs, it can be a bit difficult to clean up if they end up eating it. If your dog has eaten silly putty, there are a few things you can do to help get it out of their system.
What is silly putty?
Silly putty is a type of bouncy clay that is made out of silicone oil and polymer. It was created accidentally by James Wright, an engineer who was working on a rubber substitute for the army during World War II.
When he combined boric acid and silicone oil, he found that the substance could stretch like rubber, but would also bounce back to its original shape.
Is silly putty safe for dogs?
Silly putty is made of vinyl polymer, which is non-toxic but can cause gastrointestinal problems if eaten. It can also cause obstruction in the dog’s digestive system, leading to serious health problems.
In some cases, surgery may be required to remove the obstruction. So if you have a dog, make sure to keep any toys or objects that could be harmful to them out of reach.
And Before giving any type of dog toy to your puppy, it is important to do your research to make sure it is safe.
Silly putty may be safe for dogs, but there are plenty of other toys that are specifically designed for dogs and are much safer.
If you have any doubts about whether or not a toy is safe for your dog, consult with your veterinarian.
Signs that your dog has eaten silly putty
Silly putty is a children’s toy that is made of a rubber-like material. It can be molded into different shapes and is often used as a stress reliever. Silly putty is non-toxic, but it can be dangerous if eaten.
Signs that your dog has eaten silly putty include vomiting, diarrhea, and excessive drooling. If your dog has eaten silly putty, take him to the veterinarian immediately.
What to do if your dog eats silly putty?
If your dog eats silly putty, you should call your veterinarian. Silly putty is non-toxic, but it can cause an obstruction in your dog’s digestive system.
Your veterinarian will likely x-ray your dog to see if the silly putty is obstructing her intestines and then will perform surgery to remove it if necessary.
How to prevent your dog from eating silly putty?
Dogs will eat just about anything and while some things may not be harmful, others can be. Silly putty is one of those things. Here are a few tips on how to prevent your dog from eating silly putty:
- Prevent your dog from eating silly putty by keeping these items out of reach.
- Never leave any toys, balls or treats in plain view.
- Store all your housecleaning supplies, including laundry detergent and dish soap, in a closed cabinet.
- Store all your pet supplies in a closed cabinet, especially if you have small dogs.
- Keep all leftover toys and treats in a secure place where they can be reached only by your dog.
- Don’t leave food or water bowls on the floor.
In conclusion, silly putty is not a food item and should not be given to dogs. Even if the dog seems to enjoy it, there is a risk of them choking on it or becoming sick.
Always be careful what you give your pet and make sure they are supervised when eating anything other than their regular food.